This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to report an issue.
Looking for something interesting to watch during your summer break? Take a look at these recent additions to our Film Collection!
- Barrymore: At the height of his remarkable career, John Barrymore was the most celebrated entertainer of his generation. The reigning king of both Broadway and Hollywood, his decline and fall from grace was the tragic result of a self-destructive spiral into vice and excess. And now, with his career in tatters, he makes one final attempt to reclaim his former glory on the stage in this powerful, heartbreaking, humorous and compassionate portrait of a tortured soul and living legend.
- Beyond the Rocks: A young woman is tricked into an arranged marriage with an older millionaire by her female relatives, and then falls in love with a handsome nobleman as she honeymoons in the Alps and Paris. Discovering that his wife loves another, the husband rushes off to the Sahara. In 2003, Beyond the rocks was rediscovered at the Nederlands Filmmuseum, after being considered lost for decades. The nitrite print was virtually complete, and had Dutch intertitles. It was restored, a new score was composed and new English intertitles added, based on the original continuity script.
- Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy: Examines the unique role of Jewish composers and lyricists in the creation of the modern American musical. This entertaining documentary mingles cultural history with illuminating perspectives on the origins and meanings of some of Broadway’s most beloved songs, stories and shows. Premiered nationally on the PBS series Great Performances on January 1, 2013.
- Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story: Follows the life of Dr. Benjamin S. Carson, who overcame problems in school and obstacles in life to become a world-renowned neurosurgeon. His lifelong journey led him to become director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Children’s Center, a bestselling author, and a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Includes behind-the-scenes, and featurettes.
- House of Cards: Season one of the Netflix original series House of Cards. Frank Underwood is a cunning career politician. Zoe Barnes is an ambitious young journalist. Together they forge a partnership that trades powerful secrets for political access, and so much more.
- Into the Cold: A Journey of the Soul: Presents an account of a two-man two-month expedition to the North Pole.
- Leonie: The true life story of Leonie Gilmour, whose life crossed continents, wars, and cultures, embodied with courage and passion in search of art and freedom. A tender and inspiring story of a remarkable woman who nurtures the amazing artistic talent of her son, who has only one way to succeed and one person to guide him, as he grows into the world-renowned artist Isamu Noguchi.
- Life is Sweet: An amusing portrait of a working-class family in a suburb just north of London, an irrepressible mum and dad and their night-and-day twins, a bookish good girl and a sneering lay about. A vivid, lived-in story of ordinary existence, in which even modest dreams (such as the father’s desire to open a food truck) carry enormous weight. Perched on the line between humor and melancholy.
- Lorna Doone: An adaptation of the novel in which a young girl of noble birth is kidnapped by the Doones, a feared band of thieves and cutthroats and raised amongst them. Based on the novel by R.D. Blackmore. (This is the 1922 Ince-Tourneur version. There are also British silent versions from 1912 and 1922.)
- Not Fade Away: From David Chase, creator of The Sopranos, comes a story about discovering your passions, following your dreams, and finding yourself. It’s the 1960s and rock n’ roll is changing the world. Inspired by a bold new era and his success in a local band, Douglas drops out of college to pursue his musical dreams, only to discover the harsh realities of the music industry. Douglas is forced to choose between listening to his father or listening to his heart.