This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to report an issue.
The ZSR Library has recently joined HathiTrust as a sustaining partner. HathiTrust began in 2008 as a collaboration of 13 universities to establish a repository for archiving and sharing library collections that were digitized as part of the initial Google Book project. Today, over 60 research libraries worldwide have committed to long-term availability of the cultural record. Many of the partners contribute content for digitization. Others, like ZSR Library, become sustaining partners to participate in the curation and management of the HathiTrust repository in return for enhanced services for accessing and using materials in the digital library.
HathiTrust partners share a goal to build a comprehensive archive of published literature from around the world and using collaborative strategies for managing and developing their digital and print holdings. Currently, the HathiTrust Digital Library contains 10,600,000 monographs and serials. These include both in-copyright and public domain materials that have been digitized by Google, the Internet Archive and Microsoft, as well as through in-house initiatives.
The sustaining partnership will benefit the Wake Forest community in a variety of ways that include:
- Ability to view and download public-domain materials and materials for which HathiTrust has received permissions
- Specialized access to public domain and in-copyright materials for users with disabilities
- Other uses permitted by copyright law, e.g. print replacement copies and fair uses of in-copyright materials
- Ability for users to create virtual collections of volumes held in the repository
- Initiatives and resources geared toward shared collection development and management (e.g., copyright review, de-duplication, collaboration with other organizations), and participation in governance and partner initiatives, which will define future directions of the shared library
ZSR Library proudly joins a community of institutions committed to advancing the common good by supporting the teaching and learning activities of students and faculty at their home institutions as well as the scholarly needs of the broader public.