Kathy Shields is the Research & Instruction Librarian for History and Social Sciences at Z. Smith Reyolds Library. In this capacity, she serves as the liaison to History, Psychology, and the Latin American and Latino Studies program and teaches for-credit courses in the library's information literacy program. Prior to coming to ZSR, Kathy was the Head of Reference and Instructional Services at High Point University. Kathy earned her MLIS from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and her BA in English from Mississippi State University.
- Scheidt, Donna, Carpenter, William, Fitzgerald, Robert, Middleton, Holly, & Shields, Kathy. (2016). Writing information literacy in FYC: A collaboration among faculty and librarians. Information literacy: Research and collaboration across disciplines. WAC Clearinghouse and University Press of Colorado: Fort Collins, Colorado. #
- Shields, Kathy, & Schweitzer, Leah. (2016). A new studio approach: Collaborating to support first year writing. Southern Discourse in the Center, 20(2), 28-46. #
- Shields, Kathy. (2015). Research partners, teaching partners: A collaboration between FYC faculty and librarians to study students' research and writing habits. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 19(2014), 207-218. #
- Shields, Kathy, Whicker, Jennifer, & Chadwell, Amy. (2012). Free tech tools to enhance library instruction. Virginia Libraries. Virginia Libraries, 58(1), 13-18. #
- Shields, Kathy, & Kellam, Lynda. (2011). Generation X mentoring Millennials. The Generation X librarian: Essays in leadership, technology, pop culture, social responsibility, and professional identity. McFarland: Jefferson, NC.
- Shields, Kathy, Scheidt, Donna, Carpenter, William, Kozma, Cara, & Middleton, Holly. (2017, March). Cultivating Capacity for Collaborative Research, Understanding Change: Preliminary Findings from Longitudinal Case Studies of Undergraduates as Writer-Researchers. Conference on College Composition and Communication, Portland, Oregon.
- Shields, Kathy, & Middleton, Holly. (2016, March). Teaching the dispositions for inquiry: Research and writing in the first year of college. Student Success in Writing Conference, Savannah, Georgia. #
- Shields, Kathy, Schweitzer, Leah, Garber, Christian, Lisath, Brailey, & Swiger, Jen. (2016, February). Voices around the table: The Writing Studio as inclusive space. Southeastern Writing Center Association Conference, Columbus, Georgia.
- Shields, Kathy, & Dale, Jenny. (2015, October). Make your instruction matter: Practical ways to implement the ACRL IL Framework in library instruction. 61st Biennial North Carolina Library Association Conference, Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Shields, Kathy, & Walker, Allison. (2015, October). Enhancing students' online research, reading, and writing practices with ProQuest Flow. 61st Biennial North Carolina Library Association Conference, Greensboro, North Carolina.
Note: Above is a selection of Kathy’s professional activity.