Susan Sharpless Smith is Associate Dean at Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University. Her responsibilities include strategic planning, budgeting/financial management, building renovation projects, digital initiatives, grants and special projects. Prior to transitioning into academic librarianship in 1996, she worked in both special and public library environments. Smith received a master's degree in library and information studies (LIS) from University of North Carolina-Greensboro (UNCG) and a master's degree in educational technology leadership from George Washington University. She received the 2008 Association of College and Research Libraries Instruction Section (ACRL IS) Innovation award and was the recipient of UNCG LIS's 2011 Kovacs Award for Outstanding Alumni Achievement. The third edition of her monograph Web-Based Instruction: A Guide for Libraries (ALA Editions) was published in 2010.
- Womack, Hubert, Smith, Susan, & Lock, Mary Beth. (2015). Large-Scale, Live-Action Gaming Events in Academic Libraries: How and Why. C&RL News, 76(4), 210-214. #
- Smith, Susan. (2012). Introduction: Special Issue on Data Curation. Journal of Web Librarianship, 6(4), 225-227. #
- Smith, Susan, & Mitchell, Erik. (2012). Putting on a race for funds and fun. The Entrepreneurial Librarian: Essays on the Infusion of Private-Business Dynamism into Professional Service. McFarland: Jefferson, NC. #
- Smith, Susan, & Sutton, Lynn. (2010). The Embedded Academic Librarian. Reference Reborn: Breathing new Life into Public Services. Libraries Unlimited: Santa Barbara, CA.
- Smith, Susan. (2010). Web-Based Instruction: A Guide for Libraries, Third Edition. American Library Association: Chicago, IL. #
- Smith, Susan, Lock, Mary Beth, Webb, Meghan, & Womack, Hubert. (2015, October). A Library for the Whole Student: Creating a Multi-dimensional Culture of Health and Wellness at your Library. NCLA 61st Biennial Conference, Greensboro, NC.
- Smith, Susan. (2013, October). What ZSR Library Does to Build Value. NCLA 60th Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Smith, Susan. (2013, October). Life Lessons Learned: Through a Librarian's Lens. NCLA 60th Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Smith, Susan. (2013, March). Life Lessons Learned: Through a Librarian's Lens. UNCG LISAA Alumni Day Luncheon, Greensboro, NC.
- Smith, Susan, & Horton, Mary. (2013, March). Similarities & Differences in Financial Management Between a Small Private and A Large Public University. Conference of the Association of Library Financial Management Officers, Arcadia University, Glenside, PA.
- LITA Board of Directors, Director-at-Large. (July 1, 2015 - June 2017).
- LITA Hi Tech Awards Committee, Past-Chair. (July 1, 2014 - June 2015).
- LITA Financial Advisory Committee, Vice-Chair. (July 1, 2014 - June 2015).
- LITA Hi Tech Awards Committee, Chair. (July 1, 2013 - June 2014).
- LITA 2013 National Forum Planning Committee, Past Chair. (January 2013 - December 2013).
Note: Above is a selection of Susan’s professional activity.
Professional Development Blog
- Susan @ ALA Midwinter in Boston, January 2016
- Susan At NCLA Biennial Conference, November 2015
- Susan at ALA 2015 in San Francisco, July 2015
- ACRL 2015 Portland – Susan’s Report, April 2015
- Susan @ ALAMW 2015, or ‘A Little Blizzard, So What?’, February 2015
Here @ ZSR
Search the Directory
- Access Services
- Digital Scholarship
- Research & Instruction
- Resource Services
- Special Collections & Archives
— Return to the Library Directory