Susan Sharpless Smith is Associate Dean at Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University. Her responsibilities include strategic planning, budgeting/financial management, building renovation projects, digital initiatives, grants and special projects. Prior to transitioning into academic librarianship in 1996, she worked in both special and public library environments. Smith received a master's degree in library and information studies (LIS) from University of North Carolina-Greensboro (UNCG) and a master's degree in educational technology leadership from George Washington University. She received the 2008 Association of College and Research Libraries Instruction Section (ACRL IS) Innovation award and was the recipient of UNCG LIS's 2011 Kovacs Award for Outstanding Alumni Achievement. The third edition of her monograph Web-Based Instruction: A Guide for Libraries (ALA Editions) was published in 2010.
- Smith, Susan. (2012). Introduction: Special Issue on Data Curation. Journal of Web Librarianship, 6(4), 225-227. #
- Smith, Susan, & Mitchell, Erik. (2012). Putting on a race for funds and fun. The Entrepreneurial Librarian: Essays on the Infusion of Private-Business Dynamism into Professional Service. McFarland: Jefferson, NC. #
- Smith, Susan, & Sutton, Lynn. (2010). The Embedded Academic Librarian. Reference Reborn: Breathing new Life into Public Services. Libraries Unlimited: Santa Barbara, CA.
- Smith, Susan. (2010). Web-Based Instruction: A Guide for Libraries, Third Edition. American Library Association: Chicago, IL. #
- Smith, Susan. (2009). ZSR Librarians and Social Stratification in the Deep South. TLC Exchange: The Newsletter of the Teaching and Learning Center of Wake Forest University, 13(1), 1-2. #
- Mitchell, Erik, & Smith, Susan. (2009). Bringing Information Literacy into the Social Sphere: a Case Study Using Social Software to Teach Information Literacy at WFU. Journal of Web Librarianship, 3(3), 183-197. #
- Smith, Susan. (2013, October). What ZSR Library Does to Build Value. NCLA 60th Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Smith, Susan. (2013, October). Life Lessons Learned: Through a Librarian's Lens. NCLA 60th Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Smith, Susan. (2013, March). Life Lessons Learned: Through a Librarian's Lens. UNCG LISAA Alumni Day Luncheon, Greensboro, NC.
- Smith, Susan, & Horton, Mary. (2013, March). Similarities & Differences in Financial Management Between a Small Private and A Large Public University. Conference of the Association of Library Financial Management Officers, Arcadia University, Glenside, PA.
- Leonard, Elisabeth, & Smith, Susan. (2012, November). Working Together: Evolving Value for Academic Libraries. Charleston Conference, Charleston, SC.
- Smith, Susan. (2012, September). Digital Forsyth: Through a Social Entrepreneurial Lens. Social Entrepreneurship in Action: Digitizing Our Cultural History, Webinar.
- Womack, Hubert, Smith, Susan, Consiglio, David, Vine, Scott, & Petruzzelli, Barbara. (2012, June). Reference Resurrected: Models for the 21st-Century College Library. American Library Association Annual Conference and Exhibition, Anaheim, CA.
- Mitchell, Erik, & Smith, Susan. (2011, September). Data visualization and digital humanities research: A survey of available data sets & tools. LITA National Forum, St. Louis, MO.
- Smith, Susan, & Mitchell, Erik. (2010, June). #socstrat: leveraging social and mobile technologies in experiential courses. EDUCAUSE Southeast Regional Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Mitchell, Erik, & Smith, Susan. (2010, June). #Socstrat leveraging social and mobile technologies in experiental courses. Educause Southeast Regional Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Smith, Susan, & Womack, Hubert. (2010, May). Preserving a County's Past: Cross-Institutional Collaboration to Archive a Community's History. LAUNC-CH Research Forum, Sonja Haynes Stone Center, UNC Chapel Hill.
- LITA Hi Tech Awards Committee, Past-Chair. (July 1, 2014 - June 2015).
- LITA Financial Advisory Committee, Vice-Chair. (July 1, 2014 - June 2015).
- LITA Hi Tech Awards Committee, Chair. (July 1, 2013 - June 2014).
- LITA 2013 National Forum Planning Committee, Past Chair. (January 2013 - December 2013).
- LITA 2012 National Forum Planning Committee, Chair. (February 2011 - December 2012).
Below are a few posts by Susan from the ZSR Professional Development blog.
- Susan at the Library Assessment Conference (August 2014)
- ARL New Assessment Professionals Seminar (March 2014)
- Surveys in Libraries: ACRL-ULS Webinar (December 2013)
- Susan’s NCLA Conference Experience (October 2013)
- Designing Libraries II Conference (October 2013)
Search the Directory
- Access Services
- Digital Scholarship
- Research & Instruction
- Resource Services
- Special Collections & Archives
— Return to the Library Directory