Submitting an ETD
- Go to the WFU ETD Administrator via the LOGIN link on the WFU ETD home page
- Click either "Submit" link next to Student in upper right corner, or "Submit my dissertation/thesis" link in blue box in middle of page
- Click "Create an Account" in "New user?" box; you may use any email address to register
- After activating your account by following the link sent in your confirmation email, login and click red "Submit new dissertation/thesis" link
- Work your way through the left sidebar checklist by either clicking "Continue" or "Save & Continue" buttons at the bottom of each screen, or clicking on steps in the checklist; all boxes in the checklist, except those noted as optional, must be checked before your ETD can be submitted; indented checklist items – Publishing agreement and Shipping address – can only be accessed when the checklist item above is completed
- Once you submit your ETD, you will receive an email confirmation; your ETD will be reviewed by the WFU ETD administrators, who will then notify you requesting changes or approve and submit your ETD to ProQuest; once your ETD is submitted to ProQuest, you will receive notification by email
Notes on the ETD Administrator checklist:
- Publishing options: indicate embargo preference (if any), search engine authorization, and royalty collection preference; embargo select must match the one indicated on the ETD Student-Advisor agreement submitted to the Graduate School
- Contact information: be sure to put a permanent address (parents, sibling, etc.) if you plan to move
- Title words cannot be formatted
- If you copy & paste your title, but only the first few words appear, copy the full title into a new document and reformat so it is all on one line, then retry
- Primary Subject Categories are indexing terms established by ProQuest and cannot be changed; if there is not a direct match for your field, pick the closest category first, then use the additional categories to help define
- If possible, select keywords that are not part of your title or abstract; see additional tips
- All submissions need an abstract; if your thesis does not include an abstract you can copy & paste, write a short explanation of your researchs; ee additional tips
- Special formatting is possible in your abstract; click the red "formatting hints" link for assistance; if you do not see the coding for the symbol you need, Google the ASCII code and use it
- If you cannot create a PDF on your machine, you can submit your files to ProQuest via the PDF Conversion Tool; this is NOT recommended
- Notes (optional): this is for you to share comments with the WFU ETD administrators; these are not visible to ProQuest
- Register U.S. copyright: you may elect to pay an additional $55 to have ProQuest file your copyright on your behalf; if you want to register copyright yourself, you may do so online at copyright.gov for $35
- Order copies: you may want to order print copies of your dissertation or thesis for yourself, your advisor, your department or others; please note that the cost of ProQuest print copies is significantly higher than those charged by third party publishing services, such as Lulu
Notes on extended embargo periods:
If you, after consultation with your advisor, deem it best to limit access to your ETD for an indefinite period beyond the standard embargo terms of 6, 12 or 24 months, you need to:
- Complete the ETD Student-Advisor Agreement, selecting option #3, which limits full text access to WFU only until you notify us to release it.
- Once all changes have been made following your defense, begin the submission process using the ETD Administrator system. Note that you will not be able to specify an extended embargo period in the system; rather, on the "Publishing Options" page under "Delaying the release of your work" you need to select "No…" and "2 years." You may select whichever reason you wish from the drop menu; we recommend "Other."
- Next, you must express your desire for an extended embargo on the "Notes (optional)" page in the ETD Administrator system. Notes are only seen by the WFU site administrators; they are not visible to ProQuest. Although there is an optional "Note to administrator" box in the area where you selected the 2 year embargo in step #2 above, using the "Notes (optional)" page will display your request more prominently.
- Complete the submission process. ETDs are reviewed by the Graduate School prior to being released to ProQuest, during which your extended embargo request will be applied to your ETD submission.
Should you have any questions or concerns, contact Molly Keener, Scholarly Communication Librarian, at x5829.