In response to the emergency closures of research libraries, the HathiTrust Digital Library has established the Emergency Temporary Access Service. The ETAS enables faculty, staff, and students at member institutions – Wake Forest is a member – to access full-text digital copies of books held in the library’s print collection.
Here are the most critical things to know about ETAS:
- Log in! You must be logged in using your WFU account for authentication.
- 47% of ZSR’s print collection is available through this service.
- Don’t borrow until you are ready to use! Borrowing access is granted for 1 hour, with automatic extensions if you are actively using the book and no one else has requested it. Click the Temporary Access link at the bottom of the record to begin your session.
- Downloads are limited to one page at a time. It’s best to read online.
- Availability is on an own-to-loan ratio: if ZSR owns one copy, only one user may access at a time; if two copies, two users, and so forth. In most cases, ZSR owns one copy.
There are additional books in the HathiTrust collection that are fully open for you to read and download, as these works are either in the public domain or the copyright holders have granted permission for use. And you will see other books in the collection that you cannot access because they are not owned by ZSR.