Carrie Johnston is the Digital Humanities Research Designer at the Z. Reynolds Smith Library. In this position, she collaborates with faculty from across disciplines to incorporate computational methods and digital technologies into scholarly research projects. She joined ZSR in September of 2016. Previously, she was a Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) Postdoctoral Fellow in Digital Scholarship at Bucknell University (2015-2016) and a Visiting Assistant Professor of English at Quincy University (2014-2015). In 2014 she earned her Ph.D. in English and American Literature from Southern Methodist University.
- Johnston, Carrie, Dinsman, Melissa, & Rodrigues, Elizabeth. (2020). The Digital Labor of Blending Learning: the Reading Cities Project. Humans at Work in the Digital Age: Forms of Digital Textual Labor. Routledge: New York, NY.
- Johnston, Carrie. (2020). Alice Corbin Henderson's Poetry Networks in the "Great Southwest". College Literature, 47(1), 9-33.
- Johnston, Carrie, McGrath, James, Boyles, Christina, Cong-Huyen, Anne, & Phillips, Amanda. (2018). Precarious Labor in the Digital Humanities. American Quarterly, 70(3).
- Johnston, Carrie. (2017). Postwar Reentry Narratives in Leslie Marmon Silko's _Ceremony_ and Ben Fountain's _Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk_. Studies in the Novel, 49(3), 400-418. #
- Johnston, Carrie, & Anderson Cordell, Sigrid. (2017). Introduction: Gender and the Cultural Preoccupations of the American West. Studies in the Novel, 49(3), 299-303 . #
- Johnston, Carrie. (2020, January). Being Human in Digital Humanities Project Management. Modern Language Association Annual Convention, Seattle, WA.
- Johnston, Carrie. (2019, November). Building Digital Archives as We Fight. American Studies Association Annual Meeting, Honolulu, HI.
- Johnston, Carrie, & Pellet, Stephanie. (2019, October). Tout le Monde: A Collaborative Pro-ject/-cess. Digitorium, Tuscaloosa, AL.
- Johnston, Carrie. (2019, January). Language and Labor in the Digital Humanities. Modern Language Association Annual Convention, Chicago, IL. #
- Johnston, Carrie. (2018, November). Critical Regionalisms and States of Emergence. American Studies Association Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. #
Note: Above is a selection of Carrie’s professional activity.
- Build as We Fight: The 2019 American Studies Association Annual Meeting, November 2019
- Carrie at Digitorium 2019, October 2019
- Carrie at the 2019 MLA Convention, March 2019
- Carrie at the American Studies Association Annual Meeting, November 2018
Here @ ZSR
- DH@Wake 2020: Community and Collections, June 2020
- Walt Whitman Lecture and Pop-up Exhibit, October 2019
- DH@Wake Speaker Series: Dr. Kenneth Price on The Walt Whitman Archive, September 2019
- DH@Wake Workshop Series: Fall 2019, August 2019
- A Week of Reclaim Hosting, June 2019