Carrie Johnston is the Digital Humanities Research Designer at the Z. Reynolds Smith Library. In this position, she collaborates with faculty from across disciplines to incorporate computational methods and digital technologies into scholarly research projects. She joined ZSR in September of 2016. Previously, she was a Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) Postdoctoral Fellow in Digital Scholarship at Bucknell University (2015-2016) and a Visiting Assistant Professor of English at Quincy University (2014-2015). In 2014 she earned her Ph.D. in English and American Literature from Southern Methodist University.
- Johnston, Carrie, McGrath, James, Boyles, Christina, Cong-Huyen, Anne, & Phillips, Amanda. (2018). Precarious Labor in the Digital Humanities. American Quarterly, 70(3).
- Johnston, Carrie. (2017). Postwar Reentry Narratives in Leslie Marmon Silko's _Ceremony_ and Ben Fountain's _Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk_. Studies in the Novel, 49(3), 400-418. #
- Johnston, Carrie, & Anderson Cordell, Sigrid. (2017). Introduction: Gender and the Cultural Preoccupations of the American West. Studies in the Novel, 49(3), 299-303 . #
- Johnston, Carrie, Whearty, Bridget, Turnator, Ece, & Brunner, Marta. (2017). Creating Contact Zones in a "Post-Truth" Era: Perspectives on Librarian-Faculty Collaboration in Information Literacy Instruction. A Splendid Torch: Learning and Teaching in Today's Academic Libraries. Council on Library and Information Resources, (174). #
- Johnston, Carrie. (2013). Twain's Remarkable Achievement: Effacing the South for Northern Audiences. Rocky Mountain Review of Language and Literature, 67(1), 67-74. #
- Johnston, Carrie. (2019, January). Language and Labor in the Digital Humanities. Modern Language Association Annual Convention, Chicago, IL. #
- Johnston, Carrie. (2018, November). Critical Regionalisms and States of Emergence. American Studies Association Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. #
- Johnston, Carrie. (2018, June). Precarious Labor in the Digital Humanities. Digital Humanities, Mexico City, Mexico. #
- Johnston, Carrie. (2017, January). Recovering Modernist Cities through Digital Augmentation. Modern Language Association Annual Convention, Philadelphia, PA.
- Johnston, Carrie. (2017, January). Keep the H in DH. Modern Language Association Annual Convention, Philadelphia, PA.
Note: Above is a selection of Carrie’s professional activity.
- Carrie at the 2019 MLA Convention, March 2019
- Carrie at the American Studies Association Annual Meeting, November 2018
- Book History & Digital Humanities, and that *other* ALA, December 2017
Here @ ZSR
- Walt Whitman Lecture and Pop-up Exhibit, October 2019
- DH@Wake Speaker Series: Dr. Kenneth Price on The Walt Whitman Archive, September 2019
- DH@Wake Workshop Series: Fall 2019, August 2019
- A Week of Reclaim Hosting, June 2019
- Announcing the DH@Wake 2019 Summer Institute Cohort!, May 2019