Kathy Shields is the Research & Instruction Librarian for History and Social Sciences at Z. Smith Reynolds Library. In this capacity, she serves as the liaison to History, Psychology, and the Latin American and Latino Studies program and teaches for-credit courses in the library's information literacy program. Prior to coming to ZSR, Kathy was the Head of Reference and Instructional Services at High Point University. Kathy earned her MLIS from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and her BA in English from Mississippi State University.
- Denlinger, Kyle, Shields, Kathy, & Webb, Meghan. (2019). "Not missing the point(s): Applying specifications grading to credit-bearing information literacy classes.". The grounded instruction librarian: Participating in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Association of College and Research Libraries: Chicago, IL. #
- Shields, Kathy, & Cugliari, Christine. (2017). "Scholarship as conversation": Introducing students to research in nonprofit studies. College and Research Libraries News, 78(3), 137-140. #
- Scheidt, Donna, Carpenter, William, Fitzgerald, Robert, Middleton, Holly, & Shields, Kathy. (2016). Writing information literacy in FYC: A collaboration among faculty and librarians. Information literacy: Research and collaboration across disciplines. WAC Clearinghouse and University Press of Colorado: Fort Collins, Colorado. #
- Shields, Kathy, & Schweitzer, Leah. (2016). A new studio approach: Collaborating to support first year writing. Southern Discourse in the Center, 20(2), 28-46. #
- Shields, Kathy. (2015). Research partners, teaching partners: A collaboration between FYC faculty and librarians to study students' research and writing habits. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 19(2014), 207-218. #
- Shields, Kathy, Whicker, Jennifer, & Chadwell, Amy. (2012). Free tech tools to enhance library instruction. Virginia Libraries. Virginia Libraries, 58(1), 13-18. #
- Shields, Kathy, & Kellam, Lynda. (2011). Generation X mentoring Millennials. The Generation X librarian: Essays in leadership, technology, pop culture, social responsibility, and professional identity. McFarland: Jefferson, NC.
- Denlinger, Kyle, Shields, Kathy, Webb, Meghan, & Womack, Hubert. (2019, October). #SquadGoals: Creating and Sustaining a Library Instruction Community. North Carolina Library Association 63rd Biennial Conference, October 2019, Winston Salem.
- Scheidt, Donna, Kozma, Cara, Middleton, Holly, & Shields, Kathy. (2018, September). Partnering to understand undergraduate research and writing longitudinally. Georgia International Conference on Information Literacy, Savannah, GA.
- Denlinger, Kyle, Shields, Kathy, Webb, Meghan, & Womack, Hubert. (2018, May). Not Missing the Point(s): Meaningful New Approaches to Assessment. The Innovative Library Classroom (TILC), Radford, VA. #
- Shields, Kathy, & Lloyd, Rebecca. (2018, May). Speaking our language: Using disciplinary frameworks to identify shared outcomes for student success in college and beyond. Innovative Library Classroom Conference, Radford, VA.
- Lloyd, Rebecca, & Shields, Kathy. (2018, May). Speaking our language: Using disciplinary frameworks to identify shared outcomes for student success in college...AND BEYOND!. 46th Annual LOEX Conference, Houston, TX. #
- Shields, Kathy, Scheidt, Donna, Carpenter, William, Kozma, Cara, & Middleton, Holly. (2017, March). Cultivating Capacity for Collaborative Research, Understanding Change: Preliminary Findings from Longitudinal Case Studies of Undergraduates as Writer-Researchers. Conference on College Composition and Communication, Portland, Oregon.
- Shields, Kathy, & Middleton, Holly. (2016, March). Teaching the dispositions for inquiry: Research and writing in the first year of college. Student Success in Writing Conference, Savannah, Georgia. #
- Shields, Kathy, Schweitzer, Leah, Garber, Christian, Lisath, Brailey, & Swiger, Jen. (2016, February). Voices around the table: The Writing Studio as inclusive space. Southeastern Writing Center Association Conference, Columbus, Georgia.
- Shields, Kathy, & Dale, Jenny. (2015, October). Make your instruction matter: Practical ways to implement the ACRL IL Framework in library instruction. 61st Biennial North Carolina Library Association Conference, Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Shields, Kathy, & Walker, Allison. (2015, October). Enhancing students' online research, reading, and writing practices with ProQuest Flow. 61st Biennial North Carolina Library Association Conference, Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Shields, Kathy, & Dale, Jenny. (2014, June). Crossing the threshold: Threshold concepts and IL. Metrolina Library Association Information Literacy Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina.
Committees & Offices Held
- ALA Reference & User Services Association, History Section, Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect. (July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020).
- Association of College and Research Libraries, Education and Behavioral Sciences Section, Member, Psychology Committee. (July 2018 - June 2020).
- North Carolina Library Association, Technology and Trends Round Table, Chair. (2012 - 2015).