Molly Keener is the Director of Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication at the Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University, where she works with faculty, students, and staff to understand copyright and author rights, open access, research data management, and scholarly publishing, as well as to advance awareness of new and emerging models of scholarly publishing and digital scholarship. Keener assists faculty in understanding their rights and responsibilities as copyright owners, and in understanding how to appropriately incorporate copyrighted material into their work. She encourages faculty to explore new opportunities for sharing scholarship, including open access publishing and archiving, public access to funded research outputs, and research data management. She works with graduate students as they are completing their dissertations and theses to ensure a core understanding of their rights as authors with respect to copyright and online access to their scholarship. Keener also educates undergraduate students on the basics of copyright, raising awareness of their rights and responsibilities as contributors and consumers. With the other members of the Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication department, Keener ensures that the library is advancing services and innovative opportunities for faculty and students to explore and expand their concept of scholarship. Molly Keener joined the faculty of Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University, in October 2009 as the Scholarly Communication Librarian. In January 2017, Keener was appointed the Director of Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication. Previously, she worked as a reference librarian at the Coy C. Carpenter Library at Wake Forest School of Medicine. She holds a BA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a MLIS from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- Burris, Christian, McCallum, Carolyn, & Keener, Molly. (2016). Incorporating Branded Academic Library Programming to Promote and Showcase Campus Research and Artistic Performances. North Carolina Libraries, 74(1), 13-20.
- Keener, Molly. (2015). Contextualizing Copyright: Fostering Students' Understanding of Their Rights and Responsibilities as Content Creators. Virginia Libraries, 61, 37-42. #
- Keener, Molly, Lock, Mary Beth, & Makaravage, Ellen. (2013). Ethical Uses of Information: The Good, the Bad, the Confusing. Research Like a Librarian: Accessing Information in the 21st Century. wakExpress: Winston-Salem, NC.
- Keener, Molly, Johnson, Vicki, & Collins, Bobbie. (2012). In-house Collaborative Mentoring Programs that Capitalize on Campus Community Strengths. College & Research Libraries News, 73(3), 134-146. #
- Keener, Molly, & Sarli, Cathy. (2010). Public Access Policy Support Programs at Libraries: A Roadmap for Success. College & Research Libraries News, 71(10), 539-542. #
- Keener, Molly, & Foster, Amanda. (2017, October). Taking Copyright Out of the Classroom and into the World: Adopting Scenario-Based Active Learning to Engage Students. NCLA 62nd Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Cross, William, Keener, Molly, & Rigling, Lillian. (2017, June). Mapping the Copyright Constellation: Charting Campus Partners to Create Copyright Instruction Your Students Will Care About. Kraemer Copyright Conference, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Dalton, Mary, Keener, Molly, & Womack, Hubert. (2017, March). Integrating Production and Critical Media Studies: From The Wire to Education and Popular Culture. Teachers, Teaching, and Media Conference, Wake Forest University. #
- Keener, Molly, Knox, Brenda, Denlinger, Kyle, & Ellentuck, Benjamin. (2017, March). Culture & the Sitcom: Using Media & Technology to Connect Scholarship & Teaching. Teachers, Teaching, and Media Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Cross, William, Keener, Molly, & Morrison, Heather. (2015, November). Elsevier's Heirs, or, Yes, Copyright IS Confusing. Charleston Conference, Charleston, SC. #
Committees & Offices Held
- Cambridge University Press North American Advisory Board, Member. (November 1, 2016 - Present).
- ASERL Scholarly Communication Interest Group, Co-Chair. (July 1, 2016 - Present).
- SHARE Manual Creation Task Group, Member. (June 2015 - June 2016).
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Advisory Board, Member. (November 2014 - Present).
- OATD.org, Editorial Board. (March 2013 - Present).
Note: Above is a selection of Molly’s professional activity.
- Molly’s April Intersections, April 2018
- Copyright, Digital Initiatives, Publishing, & More Copyright, June 2017
- ZSR goes to a non-library conference (surprise!), April 2017
- Molly at the 2016 Charleston Conference, November 2016
- Molly in Cambridge for Copyright, June 2016
Here @ ZSR
- Deadline Approaching for DH@Wake Summer Institute Registration, March 2018
- Reserve the New Experimental Classroom, January 2018
- 8th Annual Senior Showcase on April 18, April 2017
- Eighth Annual Senior Showcase Coming in April, January 2017
- Wake Forest Alumnus-Directed Film One of Many Available for Streaming, January 2017