Molly Keener is the Director of Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication at the Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University, where she works with faculty, students, and staff to understand copyright and author rights, open access, research data management, and scholarly publishing, as well as to advance awareness of new and emerging models of scholarly publishing and digital scholarship. Keener assists faculty in understanding their rights and responsibilities as copyright owners, and in understanding how to appropriately incorporate copyrighted material into their work. She encourages faculty to explore new opportunities for sharing scholarship, including open access publishing and archiving, public access to funded research outputs, and research data management. She works with graduate students as they are completing their dissertations and theses to ensure a core understanding of their rights as authors with respect to copyright and online access to their scholarship. Keener also educates undergraduate students on the basics of copyright, raising awareness of their rights and responsibilities as contributors and consumers. With the other members of the Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication department, Keener ensures that the library is advancing services and innovative opportunities for faculty and students to explore and expand their concept of scholarship. Molly Keener joined the faculty of Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University, in October 2009 as the Scholarly Communication Librarian. In January 2017, Keener was appointed the Director of Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication. Previously, she worked as a reference librarian at the Coy C. Carpenter Library at Wake Forest School of Medicine. She holds a BA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a MLIS from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- Keener, Molly. (2019). The Conversation of Scholarship. Serials Review, 45(1-2). #
- Giovanelli, Laura, & Keener, Molly. (2019). How to Talk About Copyright So Kids Will Listen, and How to Listen About Copyright So Kids Will Talk: An Assignment at the Intersection of Multimodal Writing and Intellectual Property. Teaching Information Literacy and Writing Studies: Volume 2, Upper-Level and Graduate Courses. Purdue University Press: West Lafayette, IN.
- Burris, Christian, McCallum, Carolyn, & Keener, Molly. (2016). Incorporating Branded Academic Library Programming to Promote and Showcase Campus Research and Artistic Performances. North Carolina Libraries, 74(1), 13-20.
- Keener, Molly. (2015). Contextualizing Copyright: Fostering Students' Understanding of Their Rights and Responsibilities as Content Creators. Virginia Libraries, 61, 37-42. #
- Keener, Molly, Lock, Mary Beth, & Makaravage, Ellen. (2013). Ethical Uses of Information: The Good, the Bad, the Confusing. Research Like a Librarian: Accessing Information in the 21st Century. wakExpress: Winston-Salem, NC.
- Keener, Molly. (2019, April). The Conversation of Scholarship. North Carolina Serials Conference, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Kowalski, Melanie, & Keener, Molly. (2018, June). Mix and Match the Copyright Code: Combining Exemptions for Maximum Impact. Kraemer Copyright Conference, Colorado Springs, CO. #
- Keener, Molly, & Kaufman, Amanda. (2017, October). Taking Copyright Out of the Classroom and into the World: Adopting Scenario-Based Active Learning to Engage Students. NCLA 62nd Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Cross, William, Keener, Molly, & Rigling, Lillian. (2017, June). Mapping the Copyright Constellation: Charting Campus Partners to Create Copyright Instruction Your Students Will Care About. Kraemer Copyright Conference, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Dalton, Mary, Keener, Molly, & Womack, Hubert. (2017, March). Integrating Production and Critical Media Studies: From The Wire to Education and Popular Culture. Teachers, Teaching, and Media Conference, Wake Forest University. #
Committees & Offices Held
- Cambridge University Press North American Advisory Board, Member. (November 1, 2016 - Present).
- ASERL Scholarly Communication Interest Group, Co-Chair. (July 1, 2016 - June 2018).
- SHARE Manual Creation Task Group, Member. (June 2015 - June 2016).
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Advisory Board, Member. (November 2014 - Present).
- OATD.org, Editorial Board. (March 2013 - Present).
Note: Above is a selection of Molly’s professional activity.
- Going Public Online Conference, March 2020
- Molly at the Charleston Conference, November 2019
- Molly at NCLA 2019, October 2019
- Molly at CUP and UIPO 2019, June 2019
- Molly at ACRL, April 2019
Here @ ZSR
- DISC 2020 Year in Review, December 2020
- OA in Action: Highlighting WFU’s Open Access Publishing Fund, October 2020
- Sharing Readings & PDFs Online: Courses & Copyright Conundrums, July 2020
- Teaching Films Online: Courses & Copyright Conundrums, June 2020
- Emergency Access to Digitized Books in ZSR Print Collection through HathiTrust, April 2020