Susan Sharpless Smith is Associate Dean at Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University. Her responsibilities include strategic planning, budgeting/financial management, building renovation projects, digital initiatives, grants and special projects. Prior to transitioning into academic librarianship in 1996, she worked in both special and public library environments. Smith received a master's degree in library and information studies (LIS) from University of North Carolina-Greensboro (UNCG) and a master's degree in educational technology leadership from George Washington University. She received the 2008 Association of College and Research Libraries Instruction Section (ACRL IS) Innovation award and was the recipient of UNCG LIS's 2011 Kovacs Award for Outstanding Alumni Achievement. The third edition of her monograph Web-Based Instruction: A Guide for Libraries (ALA Editions) was published in 2010.
- Smith, Susan. (2016). Special Issue: 21st Century Funding and Development Strategies for Libraries. The Bottom Line. The Bottom Line, 29(2), 57-122. #
- Smith, Susan. (2016). Editorial: 21st century funding and development strategies for libraries special issue. The Bottom Line, 29(2), 58-59. #
- Womack, Hubert, Smith, Susan, & Lock, Mary Beth. (2015). Large-Scale, Live-Action Gaming Events in Academic Libraries: How and Why. C&RL News, 76(4), 210-214. #
- Smith, Susan. (2012). Special Issue: Data Curation. Journal of Web Librarianship. Journal of Web Librarianship, 6(4). #
- Smith, Susan. (2012). Introduction: Special Issue on Data Curation. Journal of Web Librarianship, 6(4), 225-227. #
- Pyatt, Timothy, & Smith, Susan. (2017, October). Creating a Library Master Plan. NCLA 62nd Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Smith, Susan, Lock, Mary Beth, & Webb, Meghan. (2016, May). A Library for the Whole Student: Creating a Culture of Health & Wellness at your Library. ACRL e-Learning Webcasts, Webinar. #
- Smith, Susan, Lock, Mary Beth, Webb, Meghan, & Womack, Hubert. (2015, October). A Library for the Whole Student: Creating a Multi-dimensional Culture of Health and Wellness at your Library. NCLA 61st Biennial Conference, Greensboro, NC.
- Smith, Susan. (2013, October). What ZSR Library Does to Build Value. NCLA 60th Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Smith, Susan. (2013, October). Life Lessons Learned: Through a Librarian's Lens. NCLA 60th Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
Committees & Offices Held
- LITA Board of Directors, Director-at-Large. (July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2018).
- LITA Hi Tech Awards Committee, Past-Chair. (July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015).
- LITA Financial Advisory Committee, Vice-Chair. (July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015).
- LITA Hi Tech Awards Committee, Chair. (July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014).
- LITA 2013 National Forum Planning Committee, Past Chair. (January 2013 - December 2013).
Note: Above is a selection of Susan’s professional activity.
- Susan @ ALA Midwinter in Denver, February 2018
- Susan @ NCLA, November 2017
- Susan @ ALA Annual 2017 – Chicago, June 2017
- Susan at CNI Albuquerque, Spring 2017, April 2017
- Susan @ ALA Midwinter 2017, January 2017