Molly Keener is the Director of Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication at the Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University, where she works with faculty, students, and staff to understand copyright and author rights, open access, research data management, and scholarly publishing, as well as to advance awareness of new and emerging models of scholarly publishing and digital scholarship. Keener assists faculty in understanding their rights and responsibilities as copyright owners, and in understanding how to appropriately incorporate copyrighted material into their work. She encourages faculty to explore new opportunities for sharing scholarship, including open access publishing and archiving, public access to funded research outputs, and research data management. She works with graduate students as they are completing their dissertations and theses to ensure a core understanding of their rights as authors with respect to copyright and online access to their scholarship. Keener also educates undergraduate students on the basics of copyright, raising awareness of their rights and responsibilities as contributors and consumers. With the other members of the Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication department, Keener ensures that the library is advancing services and innovative opportunities for faculty and students to explore and expand their concept of scholarship. Molly Keener joined the faculty of Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University, in October 2009 as the Scholarly Communication Librarian. In January 2017, Keener was appointed the Director of Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication. Previously, she worked as a reference librarian at the Coy C. Carpenter Library at Wake Forest School of Medicine. She holds a BA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a MLIS from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- Burris, Christian, McCallum, Carolyn, & Keener, Molly. (2016). Incorporating Branded Academic Library Programming to Promote and Showcase Campus Research and Artistic Performances. North Carolina Libraries, 74(1), 13-20.
- Keener, Molly. (2015). Contextualizing Copyright: Fostering Students' Understanding of Their Rights and Responsibilities as Content Creators. Virginia Libraries, 61, 37-42. #
- Keener, Molly, Lock, Mary Beth, & Makaravage, Ellen. (2013). Ethical Uses of Information: The Good, the Bad, the Confusing. Research Like a Librarian: Accessing Information in the 21st Century. wakExpress: Winston-Salem, NC.
- Keener, Molly, Johnson, Vicki, & Collins, Bobbie. (2012). In-house Collaborative Mentoring Programs that Capitalize on Campus Community Strengths. College & Research Libraries News, 73(3), 134-146. #
- Keener, Molly, & Sarli, Cathy. (2010). Public Access Policy Support Programs at Libraries: A Roadmap for Success. College & Research Libraries News, 71(10), 539-542. #
- Cross, William, Keener, Molly, & Morrison, Heather. (2015, November). Elsevier's Heirs, or, Yes, Copyright IS Confusing. Charleston Conference, Charleston, SC. #
- Davis-Kahl, Stephanie, & Keener, Molly. (2014, August). Cultivating Creators: Copyright in the Information Literacy Classroom. ACRL e-Learning Webcast, Online. #
- Keener, Molly. (2014, March). Author Rights: Managing Your Copyright. Florida Scholarly Communications Interest Group, Online.
- Keener, Molly, & Cross, William. (2013, October). Scholarly Communications: From Understanding to Engagement. ACRL Scholarly Communications Road Show, ACRL Oklahoma Chapter; Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK.
- Jeong, Sarah, & Keener, Molly. (2013, October). The Impact Factor, Eigenfactor, and Altmetrics: From Theory to Analysis. North Carolina Library Association Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC.
Committees & Offices Held
- SHARE Manual Creation Task Group, Member. (June 2015 - Present).
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Advisory Board, Member. (November 2014 - Present).
- OATD.org, Editorial Board. (March 2013 - Present).
- ACRL Research and Scholarly Environment Committee, Member. (July 1, 2011 - June 2015).
- ACRL 2013 Conference Panel Session Committee, Member. (July 1, 2011 - June 2013).
Note: Above is a selection of Molly’s professional activity.
- Molly at the 2016 Charleston Conference, November 2016
- Molly in Cambridge for Copyright, June 2016
- 41 hours, 6 hugs, and 1 hotel; or, Molly at Midwinter (sorta), January 2016
- Lightsabers, soap operas, and Ol’ Blue Eyes; Or, Molly at the Charleston Conference, December 2015
- Molly at SHARE Community Meeting, July 2015