Tanya Zanish-Belcher Director, Special Collections & University Archivist In March, 2013, Tanya Zanish-Belcher was named Director, Special Collections and University Archivist for Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. She received her B.A. (1983) in History from Ohio Wesleyan University and an M.A. (1990) in Historical and Archival Administration from Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. She worked as a Special Collections Archivist at the Alabama Dept. of Archives and History in Montgomery, Alabama, from 1989-1994. In 1995, she became the Curator for the Archives of Women in Science and Engineering, located at the Iowa State University Library, and in 1998 was promoted to Head of the Special Collections Department and Head of the University Archives at Iowa State. Her most recent publication is Perspectives on Women’s Archives (edited, with Anke Voss) for the Society of American Archivists (2013) and she is also the author of “’A Culture of Concealment’: Revealing the Records of Human Reproduction,” which also appears in Perspectives. Some of her past publications include "Raising the Archival Consciousness: How Women’s Archives Challenge Traditional Approaches to Collecting, Or, What’s In a Name?” Library Trends (Summer 2007), co-authored with Karen Mason and “Pitfalls, Progress and Partnership: Collaboration between Special Collections and Preservation in Academic Libraries,” Collections Management (2006), co-authored with Hilary Seo (Iowa State University). Zanish-Belcher has given numerous presentations to local and regional groups, as well as professional organizations such as the Midwest Archives Conference (MAC) and the Society of American Archivists (SAA). She is a Past President of MAC and is currently a member of SAA Council (2012-2015). She was named an SAA Fellow in 2011, the highest accolade given by the Society.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya, & Voss, Anke. (2013). Perspectives on Women's Archives. Society of American Archivists, 502 pages. #
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2013). 'A Culture of Concealment': Revealing the Records of Human Reproduction. Perspectives on Women's Archives. Society of American Archivists: Chicago, Illinois.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2012). The Archives of Women in Science and Engineering and Future Directions for Oral History: Questions for Women Scientists. Centaurus: An International Journal of the History of Science and its Cultural Aspects, 55(4). #
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya, & Fiegel, Laurie. (2012). Collaboration between the Iowa State University Honors Program and the Special Collections Department (ISU Library). Past as Portal: Teaching Undergraduates Using Special Collections and Archives. Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL): Chicago, Illinois.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2015, August). Best Practices for Volunteers in Archives. Annual Meeting, Cleveland, Ohio.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2015, August). Regional Organizations: How They Enhance and Impact Professional Development. MOSAIC Scholarship Workshop, Cleveland, OH.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2015, May). Evaluating Public Services in Special Collections. Annual Meeting, Lexington, KY.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya, Gillespie, Michelle, Angle, Caroline, Gromer, Alex, Hillgartner, Anne, Slater, Alexis, & Zavagno, Michael. (2015, March). Oral Histories of an African-American Catholic Church in the Protestant Bible Belt. Annual Meeting, Greenville, NC.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2011, September). The Archives of Women in Science and Engineering and Future Directions for Oral History: Questions for Women Scientists. International Symposium Women and Gender Studies, Paris, France.
Committees & Offices Held
- Society of American Archivists, Executive Committee (representing Council). (August 2014 - August 2015).
- Society of North Carolina Archivists, Archives Month Coordinator. (April 2014 - April 2016).
- Midwest Archives Conference, Co-chair, Education Committee. ( 2013 - Present).
- Society of American Archivists, Council member. (August 18, 2012 - August 2015).
- Archives Leadership Institute, Steering Committee. (June 2012 - August 2015).
Professional Development Blog
- Tanya @ MAC (Midwest Archives Conference), Milwaukee, WI, May 2016
- Tanya @SAA2015, September 2015
- Archives Leadership Institute (ALI) 2015 (Decorah, Iowa) by Tanya, June 2015
- Midwest Archives Conference Annual meeting–Lexington, KY–Tanya, May 2015
- ALABI–Nashville, Tennessee by Tanya, April 2015
Here @ ZSR
- Locating Primary Sources Through ArchiveGrid, February 2016
- Wake Forest Oral History Project, January 2016
- Update on LSTA Grant, January 2016
- St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church (Winston-Salem, NC) 75th Anniversary Oral History Project, November 2015
- Special Collections & Archives 2015 NEH Grant for Visiting Consultant, September 2015