From present-day IVF treatments in Israel to the picturesque travel market of 18th-century Ireland to an evaluation of Basel III to the Netizens of contemporary China to advancing antibiotic development, the research presented at the Sixth Annual Senior Showcase captured the breadth and depth of undergraduate research interests. The Senior Showcase, hosted by the ZSR Library on April 21, honored five seniors with the opportunity to share their research with the campus community, and through the awarding of a $1,000 prize to each honoree.
The audience heard presentations from:
- Shoshanna Goldin, “The Land of Milk, Honey, and Motherhood: An Examination of Jewish, Muslim, and Druze Women’s Perspectives of IVF Policy in Israel”
- Caroline Huskey, “A Revolutionary Civil Society: The Rise of the Micro-blogger and Innovative Censorship in Contemporary China”
- Rachel Rhine, “Strangers in their Own Land: An Exploration of Irish Travel Images in the 18th Century Within the Wider Context of British Isles and the Depiction of Travelers in William Ashford’s Killarney Series”
- Rachel Brown, “Basel III and Financial Inclusion: Unintended Consequences of Risk-based Capital Requirements on Financial Access and Inclusion in Emerging Markets and Developing Economies (EMDEs) “
- Courtney Smith, “Mechanism of Action of Metronidazole, a Nitroheterocyclic Antibiotic”
Nominated by their faculty advisors, these women were selected to present at the Showcase by a panel of library faculty. Selection was based upon both the strength of the faculty nomination and the student work.
The original inspiration for the Senior Showcase came from Jermyn Davis (’10) who desired a campus-wide forum for his peers to share their research more broadly. During its six-year history, the Showcase has received nominations from 53 faculty representing 20 College departments.
Following the presentations and a joint Q&A that ended with a lighthearted question to all honorees about their pre-graduation jitters, the Showcase concluded with a reception sponsored by the Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Center (URECA).
See slides from this year’s Showcase, as well as select slides from past Showcases, on WakeSpace.