Wake Forest University’s Open Access Publishing Fund assists Reynolda campus faculty who are publishing open access (OA) articles or books. A joint initiative of the Z. Smith Reynolds Library and the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs, the Open Access Publishing Fund was established in 2008 to signal campus support for OA and to further remove access barriers to research by Wake Forest faculty.
updated October 2018
- Open to Reynolda campus faculty members only; Wake Health faculty are not eligible
- Eligible publications are defined as peer-reviewed journal articles, books, or book chapters
- Articles must be published in OA journals; subscription journals that offer open options on an article-by-article basis for an additional fee, sometimes known as hybrid journals, are not eligible
- OA journals musts be listed in the DOAJ: Directory of Open Access Journals or the publisher must be a member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association
- Additional evaluative criteria may be applied to assess journals or publishers as necessary (e.g., for new publications)
- Publications must be made available immediately upon publication – no embargo period is allowed, and author(s) must retain copyright
- Faculty with external research funding to support publication costs are not eligible
To apply for funding to support an open access publication, please complete our funding application.
Funding will be sought in equal sum from three sources: the Z. Smith Reynolds Library, the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs, and the faculty author’s department. Other funding arrangements may be made as appropriate (e.g., funding from non-Wake Forest co-author(s), etc.).
Wake Forest University participates in two open access publishers’ institutional memberships to secure APC discounts for faculty: the MDPI Institutional Open Access Program and the Cogitatio Press Institutional Membership.
Contact Molly Keener, Director of Digital Initiatives & Scholarly Communication, for additional information.
Open Access Publishing Fund Application
All fields are required.