Kathy’s subject areas include: History; Social Sciences; American History; Anthropology; Psychology; World History; Area Studies; Ethnic Studies; Law; Medieval Studies; Neuroscience
Book a Research Session
Kathy Shields is the Research & Instruction Librarian for History and Social Sciences at Z. Smith Reynolds Library. In this capacity, she serves as the liaison to History, Psychology, and the Latin American and Latino Studies program and teaches for-credit courses in the library’s information literacy program. Prior to coming to ZSR, Kathy was the Head of Reference and Instructional Services at High Point University. Kathy earned her MLIS from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and her BA in English from Mississippi State University.
- Denlinger, Kyle, Shields, Kathy, & Webb, Meghan. (2019). "Not missing the point(s): Applying specifications grading to credit-bearing information literacy classes.". The grounded instruction librarian: Participating in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Association of College and Research Libraries: Chicago, IL. #
- Shields, Kathy, & Cugliari, Christine. (2017). "Scholarship as conversation": Introducing students to research in nonprofit studies. College and Research Libraries News, 78(3), 137-140. #
- Scheidt, Donna, Carpenter, William, Fitzgerald, Robert, Middleton, Holly, & Shields, Kathy. (2016). Writing information literacy in FYC: A collaboration among faculty and librarians. Information literacy: Research and collaboration across disciplines. WAC Clearinghouse and University Press of Colorado: Fort Collins, Colorado. #
- Shields, Kathy, & Schweitzer, Leah. (2016). A new studio approach: Collaborating to support first year writing. Southern Discourse in the Center, 20(2), 28-46. #
- Shields, Kathy. (2015). Research partners, teaching partners: A collaboration between FYC faculty and librarians to study students' research and writing habits. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 19(2014), 207-218. #
- Denlinger, Kyle, Yarfitz, Mir, Mulder, Megan, & Johnston, Carrie. (2021, October). Radical Trust: Meaningful Collaborations between Librarians and Faculty. North Carolina Library Association 64th Biennial Conference, Winston-Salem, NC. #
- Denlinger, Kyle, Yarfitz, Mir, Shields, Kathy, & Mulder, Megan. (2021, July). Messy & Proud of It: Open Pedagogy with History Undergraduates. Open Education Southern Symposium, Virtual. #
- Denlinger, Kyle, Shields, Kathy, Webb, Meghan, & Womack, Hubert. (2019, October). #SquadGoals: Creating and Sustaining a Library Instruction Community. North Carolina Library Association 63rd Biennial Conference, October 2019, Winston Salem.
- Scheidt, Donna, Kozma, Cara, Middleton, Holly, & Shields, Kathy. (2018, September). Partnering to understand undergraduate research and writing longitudinally. Georgia International Conference on Information Literacy, Savannah, GA.
- Denlinger, Kyle, Shields, Kathy, Webb, Meghan, & Womack, Hubert. (2018, May). Not Missing the Point(s): Meaningful New Approaches to Assessment. The Innovative Library Classroom (TILC), Radford, VA. #
Committees & Offices Held
- ALA Reference & User Services Association, History Section, Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect. (July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020).
- Association of College and Research Libraries, Education and Behavioral Sciences Section, Member, Psychology Committee. (July 2018 - June 2020).
- North Carolina Library Association, Technology and Trends Round Table, Chair. (2012 - 2015).
Here @ ZSR
- New ZSR Resources for Fall 2022
- New Streaming Film Service Available through ZSR: Swank Top 1000
- WFU-Wide Access to NYTimes.com Now Available
- New ZSR Resources for Fall 2021