Tanya Zanish-Belcher Director, Special Collections & University Archivist In March (2013) Tanya Zanish-Belcher was named Director, Special Collections and University Archivist for Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. She received her B.A. (1983) in History from Ohio Wesleyan University and an M.A. (1990) in Historical and Archival Administration from Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. She worked as a Special Collections Archivist at the Alabama Dept. of Archives and History in Montgomery, Alabama, from 1989-1994. In 1995, she became the Curator for the Archives of Women in Science and Engineering, located at the Iowa State University Library, and in 1998 was promoted to Head of the Special Collections Department and Head of the University Archives at Iowa State. Her most recent publication is Perspectives on Women’s Archives (edited, with Anke Voss) for the Society of American Archivists (2013) and she is also the author of “’A Culture of Concealment’: Revealing the Records of Human Reproduction,” which also appears in Perspectives. Some of her past publications include "Raising the Archival Consciousness: How Women’s Archives Challenge Traditional Approaches to Collecting, Or, What’s In a Name?” Library Trends (Summer 2007), co-authored with Karen Mason and “Pitfalls, Progress and Partnership: Collaboration between Special Collections and Preservation in Academic Libraries,” Collections Management (2006), co-authored with Hilary Seo (Iowa State University). Zanish-Belcher has given numerous presentations to local and regional groups, as well as professional organizations such as the Midwest Archives Conference (MAC) and the Society of American Archivists (SAA). She was named an SAA Fellow in 2011, the highest accolade given by the Society. She is a Past President of MAC, member of the SAA Council (2012-2015), and was elected Vice-President/President Elect for SAA in 2016. Zanish-Belcher served as the 73rd President of the Society of American Archivists in 2017-2018.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya, & Voss, Anke. (2013). Perspectives on Women's Archives. Society of American Archivists, 502 pages. #
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2013). 'A Culture of Concealment': Revealing the Records of Human Reproduction. Perspectives on Women's Archives. Society of American Archivists: Chicago, Illinois.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2012). The Archives of Women in Science and Engineering and Future Directions for Oral History: Questions for Women Scientists. Centaurus: An International Journal of the History of Science and its Cultural Aspects, 55(4). #
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya, & Fiegel, Laurie. (2012). Collaboration between the Iowa State University Honors Program and the Special Collections Department (ISU Library). Past as Portal: Teaching Undergraduates Using Special Collections and Archives. Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL): Chicago, Illinois.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2016, August). Assessing Archives: Case Studies in Using Data as an Advocacy Tool. Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2016, April). Playing Outside: Opportunities for Community Engagement Beyond the Archives. Annual Meeting, Milwaukee, WI.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya, & Myers, Beth. (2016, April). Career Planning for Archivists. Annual Meeting, Milwaukee, WI.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2015, August). Best Practices for Volunteers in Archives. Annual Meeting, Cleveland, Ohio.
- Zanish-Belcher, Tanya. (2015, August). Regional Organizations: How They Enhance and Impact Professional Development. MOSAIC Scholarship Workshop, Cleveland, OH.
Committees & Offices Held
- Society of American Archivists, President. (July 29, 2017 - August 17, 2018).
- Society of American Archivists, Vice President/President-Elect. (August 2016 - July 2017).
- Society of American Archivists, Executive Committee (representing Council). (August 2014 - August 2015).
- Society of North Carolina Archivists, Archives Month Coordinator. (April 2014 - April 2016).
- Midwest Archives Conference, Co-chair, Education Committee. (2013 - 2015).
Note: Above is a selection of Tanya’s professional activity.
- ZSR @SNCA, March 2019
- Tanya at Moore Magnet ES’s Amazing Shake, November 2018
- An Introduction to Special Collections & Archives, September 2018
- Tanya at SAA, August 2018
- Tanya at the Final Archives Leadership Institute, Berea (KY), July 2018
Here @ ZSR
- The Role of Transparency in the Archives, March 2019
- SCA’s New Baptist Portal!, January 2019
- Well Crafted NC: Documenting the Craft Beer Industry, January 2019
- Call for Records Transfers for the University Archives!, December 2018
- Introduction to Special Collections & Archives, September 2018