Here @ ZSR

New implementation of VuFind (VuFind 1.1)

The technology department has implemented the latest version of VuFind (VuFind 1.1) which is an upgraded version of our current VuFind (VuFind 1.0RC2). Although there were important back-end enhancements to VuFind 1.1, this blog post is going to discuss some of the new improvements that impact the front-end of the application. The new features include... Continue reading “New implementation of VuFind (VuFind 1.1)”

Finding ways to combine cloud computing and open source software

A few days ago Omeka, an open source digital content publishing system, introduced a cloud-based hosting solution for users. The solution features a tiered service level (from Free to $999 per year) and provides users with a point and click solution for launching digital collections. This model has been used by other organizations such as... Continue reading “Finding ways to combine cloud computing and open source software”

VuFind Addon for ILLiad

We upgraded to ILLiad 8 several months ago. ILLiad 8 boasts potential and possibilities for add-ons that can make ILL operations easier, such as searching the online catalog directly from the ILLiad client. When I realized that the default Voyager add-on that ILLiad created does not search the Vufind catalog and it does key word... Continue reading “VuFind Addon for ILLiad”

Vufind RC2, Amazon EC2 Rocks(2)

Today Christina, JP, Erik, Carol C., Heather and Elise gathered to test the new Vufind RC2 on Amazon EC2 (go cloud!). The system performed admirably & included some nice new features that were not in RC1. For example, in RC2 you have the ability to let your facet limits persist across multiple searches. Searching was... Continue reading “Vufind RC2, Amazon EC2 Rocks(2)”

Vufind status update – October 2009

Vufind has been live for just about 2 months now. In that time we have gotten 118 feedback emails detailing bug reports, enhancement requests, and personal opinions about the new system. It has been a busy fall for the systems staff and we are just now finishing up the fixes on a few of our... Continue reading “Vufind status update – October 2009”

New catalog reactions and status

It has been just over 2 weeks since we pulled the trigger and switched our catalog view over. We have gotten lots of great feedback and ideas for improvement and I thought I would take a moment to gather this feedback together and talk about next steps. General Impressions Comments from our patrons have varied... Continue reading “New catalog reactions and status”

New discovery interface for library resources

On Wednesday the Z. Smith Reynolds Library implemented a new discovery system for their library collections. The system, developed initially by Villanova University, employs innovative indexing and searching techniques to help patrons find and interact with library resources. This new tool adds the ability for patrons to discover new relationships between resources through the use... Continue reading “New discovery interface for library resources”

Vufind poised to go live Wednesday!

Over the last few weeks, Kevin, Jean-Paul and I have been finalizing the release of our Vufind implementation by working through the list of issues and observations submitted by library staff in our wiki. We were able to resolve many of the issues but did choose to hide/work around certain functions that had too many... Continue reading “Vufind poised to go live Wednesday!”