General Circulation Policies
Circulation policies in addition to those governed by patron privileges or material types include:
Checkout Terms & Limits
- Borrowing conditions may vary depending on patrons’ affiliation, and the nature and format of library materials. For a complete list of borrowing conditions, please visit the Checkout Terms & Limits webpage.
- Information on a current checkout is available ONLY to the patron who has the item checked out.
- Our commitment to your privacy and confidentiality has deep roots not only in law but also in the ethics and practices of librarianship. In accordance with the American Library Association’s Code of Ethics: “We protect each library user’s right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired, or transmitted.”
- No overdue fines are charged for books.
- Overdue DVDs fines accrue at a rate of $1 per day. Recalled DVDs accrue fines of $5 per day (DVDs are recalled only when they are needed for class instruction or reserves).
- Once overdue fines or replacement fees reach $50, checkout of circulating material and DVDs will be blocked until fines have been paid.
- Damage fees are charged for books requiring repair or treatment when returned. The charge is determined by the Preservation Librarian. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Replacement fees are charged for unreturned items at 35 days past due for regular collections, technology/equipment, and media; and 7 days for accessories and other hourly checkouts: books, $80; DVDs, $50; accessories and peripheral technology/equipment, current cost. ZSR Library will purchase the replacement in the most appropriate format and method. Any outstanding replacement fees will be waived if the item is returned. If the item is returned after the library has replaced the lost item, the cost will not be refunded. For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Wake Forest students may pay library fees using Deacon Dollars, credit card, cash, or check. Guests and Alumni can pay with credit card, cash, or check.
- Check payments can be submitted in-person or via mail. Please make checks payable to “Wake Forest University” and type your ID number on the memo line.
If delivered via mail, please include a printout of the fees so we can identify your account and the item(s) you are paying for. Your payment can be mailed to: Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Attn: Library Services Desk, Wake Forest University, PO Box 7777 Winston Salem, NC 27109.
- Credit card payments may be made over the phone. Please call 336-758-4931 and ask to speak with a supervisor.
Loss of Library Privileges
- Library privileges may be restricted for not returning recalled or overdue Interlibrary Loans, having large numbers of overdue books, or for failure to pay for lost books.
- Failure to respond to a recall of a checked-out book will result in a suspension of all check-out privileges.
- Attempted theft or intentional damage of library materials by a WFU student is considered an Honor Code violation and will be referred to The Honor and Ethics Council. Depending upon degree of severity and value of items involved, this type of violations may be considered Class H felonies in the eyes of the state of North Carolina and can result in arrest and court action.
- Circulation privileges may be suspended after students or guest card holders exceed $50 owed, or faculty or staff exceed $250 owed.
Borrowing Services for Guests & Visitors
- ZSR Library offers different categories of borrowing services for guests and visitors. To check eligibility, or for information, please visit the Library Borrower Card webpage.