ZSR Library assessment is a continuing process, using a variety of methods to evaluate and measure how effective the Library is in supporting its mission. Ongoing assessment provides library faculty and staff with the necessary data needed to improve services, identify changing patterns in users’ needs and promote library resources and services.
Library assessment activities are led by members of the Assessment Committee. Members of the FY18 committee are
- Lauren Corbett
- Thomas Dowling
- Alice Eng
- Mary Beth Lock
- Susan Smith (chair)
- Rosalind Tedford
- Tanya Zanish-Belcher
The committee establishes goals for each fiscal year and uses these to develop an annual assessment plan. At year’s end, it submits an annual report of accomplishments to the Library administration.
Activities & Accomplishments
Assessment Goals FY18
- Investigate and decide on the next academic year major survey instrument and targeted audience.
- Conduct a literature review to inform ways to assess ZSR’s credit bearing information literacy courses.
- Administer a questionnaire to faculty to assess the effectiveness of one-shot library instruction.
- Investigate the best ways to assess Digital Initiatives and Scholarly Communication (DISC) team’s new services and partnership that result from the new faculty spaces on Wilson 6.
- Explore and refine new data points to populate the ZSR Data Dashboard.
- Investigate the potential internal salary survey assessment tool being developed by Auburn and Ithaka.
- Research the changing DDA (ebooks) model.
Surveys & Results
Ithaka S+R Local Faculty Survey, 2016
National Survey Results
Biannually, the Library selects a national standardized assessment tool that allows the Library to benchmark services against peer groups.
- 2014 LibQUAL+ Survey
- 2012 LibQUAL+ Survey
- 2009 Counting Opinions
- 2006 LibQUAL+ Survey
- 2004 LibQUAL+ Survey
- 2002 LibQUAL+ Survey
In 2016 the Library participated in an international survey – Innovations in Scholarship.
Local Assessment Examples
- ZSR Assessment Survey 2014
- LIB100 Learning Outcomes – Pre-Test Post-Test Data
- 2015 Dean’s List Gala Survey
- Measuring Effectiveness in an Academic Library 2017
- Wake Forest Faculty Survey (Ithaka S + R) 2016
- Building a Culture of Assessment @ ZSR
- LIBQUAL+ 2014 Results Summary_for ZSR Staff
Data visualizations can help to effectively communicate data and outcomes.